Saturday, November 3, 2012

Lady Antebellum


Shuttling around in our mini van this morning, desperately trying to avoid yet another round of kiddie CD music, I surfed the lite stations…

“It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now…”

Second oldest: “Mom, is that like baby’s song to you?”  (Man, that girl listens intently when she wants to!)

Absolutely kiddo.  That sounds like the best application of the song, I mean really.  “I just need you…. WAAAAAA!”

The following is the likely exchange that would occur if an adult attempted such a conversation with me:

“Huhello?  What?  Yeah, you betcha it’s a quarter after one, so this better be good.  You’re a little drunk?  Uh okayyy… that’s promising… You need me now?  Dude, I need sleep now.  You need sleep now, and then Motrin and confession in the morning.  Get real.  Buddy, you said you wouldn’t call… You lost all control and dialed my number?  Ya know, it takes a certain amount of control to dial a number.  I mean, I can see losing all control and eating tons of ice cream,  I can see losing all control and… dialing a number?  No. No, don’t try to dodge responsibility on this bizarre behavior.  You don’t know how you can do without… what?  The senses you have taken leave of?  ME?  Man, you shoulda thought about that before you scattered my picture perfect memories ALL OVER THE FLOOR!!!   Yeah, stop watching the door; I ain’t doing the sweeping, no.  Yeah.  Yeah, you’re crossing my mind right now, and it’s not pleasant.  Good night.  I am SO getting caller ID… (click.)”

But a baby crying in a crib… now the song makes sense. J

I would like to follow this reflection on Antebellum with Scripture’s first reference to milk—yes, apropos of nothing but addressing baby’s needs at night, thank you.  It’s found in Genesis 18:8: “He [Abraham] took also butter and milk, and the calf which he had boiled, and set before them: but he stood by them under the tree.”  Interestingly (to me) this first reference (I think) of milk in the Bible involves the meal Abraham served to the angelic visitors who foretold the birth of Isaac, even though Sarah was old and laughed at the idea. 

It is also biblical basis for my most successful cooking method: boiling.  Apparently the Irish cook like Abraham.  Cool. -TLC

No comments:

Post a Comment