Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Life of Christ in Song

As a participant in the 2013 WordCount Blogathon, we have been encouraged to swap posts with fellow bloggers.  I will be doing this both today and tomorrow.  Will let you know when I complete my post "The Music of Motherhood" for my dear friend here...

Today, I get to introduce fellow blogger (www.lifeofchristinsong.net) and fellow alumna from Christendom College, Imelda Franklin Bogue.  Possessing a voice straight from heaven, Imelda is a Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions Regional Finalist.  Relocating from her native Pacific Northwest to tristate area in 2006, she is a professional classical singer and teacher concurrent with being full-time mommy of two.

She is also the author of the following... which I blush to publish.  No, I did not require her to write this absurdly flattering piece.  Good grief.  Do skim the laurels and read the end... I am very excited to hear the new CD she is recording with her most inspiring poetry on Bible stories.  Without further ado, fellow comedianne, Imelda Bogue!

Greetings to the constituency!

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread; in this case, a humbler pen steps up, virtually, as it were, to
address a crowd accustomed to the eloquence and verbosity of my dear friend Mrs. Dancause, i.e.
T.L.C. In moments of such pressure I recall a family member's assurance that “if it can be said in a
sentence, Imelda will find a way to say it in a paragraph”, and calm my nerves by the reflection that
what is lacking in wit in these typed scribbles may, at least, be atoned for by that certain indefinable
lack of brevity.

I enjoy the witty T.L.C.'s posts immensely . . . even when they make me cry, which has been frequently
of late . . . and it occurs to me that she is actually one of the only women I knew whose urge to crack
jokes under the most heinous or weighty circumstances is apparently as irresistible as my own. During
the three-day duration of labor with my eldest son, during which time I met everyone on the ward,
some coming in for a third shift, a not insignificant part of my psyche saw an opportunity to inflict my
wit on a captive audience. (What kind of jerk is going to walk out on a supine comic dialated to seven
centimeters?) Authoress of The Comedy Bible Judy Collins says, “no, it's not normal. You're not
normal. You're a comic.”

Lately, however, for heinous and weighty circumstances, Katie's got me beat.

The lady is funny because she is profound. Humor is profound and, in my view, one of the greatest
gifts of Divine Providence to a suffering world. In the moment we laugh, we're free – just for the
moment, you know, a flash of metanoia that this present darkness too shall end and that all will yet be
well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. What Chesterton calls “that beautiful
madness” snaps us into eternity in the whirlwind courtship that is a moment of grace. And to be able to
give it to others? Damn straight it's that good.

Anyhow, if I can be serious for a moment, har de har har, Katie was kind enough to ask if I would share
in this guest post the story of my current musical project.

I am a classical singer and recently have commissioned an exciting neAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAGAG ME WITH A
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

I'm terribly sorry. I recently finished a successful fundraising campaign for said musical project, and
fundraising campaigns involve talking and writing about your project to the point that the mere thought
of your project fills you with a loathing that it is impossible to describe. (Isn't that sweet?)

No, really, I can do this! Let's all say a little prayer, shall we? Let's focus. Breathe in and breathe out.

Very good.

I am a classical singer and recently have commissioned an exciting new work which I will be learning
this summer and taking to the studio in August or early fall. Five for Joy tells the story of five of the
first events in the life of . . . you'll never guess!! Mahatma Ghandi? No! Josef Stalin? No! Pol Pot? Not so much! I don't know, um, gosh, an itenerant preacher from Nazareth a while back? The Alpha and the
Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end? Jackpot!

There's tons more about the story of Five for Joy at
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576908451/mysteries-of-light-part-one-five-for-joy , and if you'd
like to join us for the creative process this summer – I promise solemnly to make the creation of this
work as good a story as in me lies – please drop by Gargoyles, my somewhat unusual classical singer
blog, for some long-winded yarns of faith, music, motherhood, and . . . . of course . . . gratuitous
verbocity at www.lifeofchristinsong.net.

Hope to see you soon! I've got a great story to tell you.



No comments:

Post a Comment