Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Due date of a water child

It is said that when the mothers of Japan remember a lost baby, they quietly find the nearest pebble and place it upon a larger rock.  A silent remembrance of an unspeakable sadness.

So I was told, and ever since I have found myself at times performing this wordless gesture, giving an inward nod to my mizuko.  While the English language does not have a word for an unborn baby that has passed from this life, the Japanese do.

"Water child."  A child whose life began and was left in water.  I'm sure there's more Buddhist meanings to be found for it, but the simplest version is what I will take from it.

The odd appellation has a soothing quality for me.  Water is peaceful.  Purifying.  Necessary.

Like Perpetua is to me.  While I will probably never be immune to bouts of tears over her loss, she is a source of peace.  Her life and loss was a purifying experience, highlighting what matters most.  And she is very much a part of who I am now.

Today was the last due date the hospital gave me.  But I feel in my heart I would have had her, by now.  I felt this, strangely and strongly, around my father's birthday mid-month.  And while August was crushing me before that point, I felt somehow better ever since.  I no longer felt that I was "supposed" to be pregnant.  

Either way, by now, my body would have let her go.  

I sometimes imagine that her departure was nothing less than that she was given the promotion of a lifetime, an opportunity she absolutely couldn't pass up.  Called by the King of Heaven. And while she can't write or call, I still know she is happy.  

Most of the time, that is enough.



And so we both live, ever united yet--temporarily--ever apart.  Our thoughts reach for each other.  We communicate in a way only known to those who have lost a piece of their heart, thereby gaining the experience of love being stronger than mortality.

With my soul turned inside out and sewn back up again with ragged edges, it is strange, so strange, to feel the unspoken taboo.  Don't talk about it.  Move on.  Get over it.   All utterly laughable when miscarriages change who we are, literally.  When there's a child who's alive and well somewhere else because of a mom here.  

In a 2002 New York Times article, "Mourning My Miscarriage," Peggy Orenstein expressed this well:

Even in this era of compulsive confession, women don't speak publicly of their loss. It is only if your pregnancy is among the unlucky ones that fail that you begin to hear the stories, spoken in confidence, almost whispered. Your aunt. Your grandmother. Your friends. Your colleagues. Women you have known for years -- sometimes your whole life -- who have had this happen, sometimes over and over and over again. They tell only if you become one of them.

I have been grateful for this outlet to facilitate speaking about the mizukos that mean so much to me.  When I sit dripping tears all over the keyboard tapping away, I don't have the anxiety of gauging your expression.  For someone who loves to make people laugh, it has been difficult to know I've made people cry.  And profoundly touching.

Thank you for reading all these months, for grieving with me.  I don't think pregnancy or infant loss should have to be relegated to a select club of mourners.  To love anyone deeply is to take on the risk of profound loss.  Loss is a theme in the human experience this side of eternity.  While it's not necessary to dwell on the pain, it is crucial to honor such searing love, felt however briefly here.  Their lives deserve remembrance.  And their mothers deserve to remember.

So let us remember the water children.  At times, let them gently touch our conversations with a sigh, a hug, a tear.  Do not feel the need to distract or detract, minimize or brush away.  

It is not awkward to love what was always meant to be loved.  


"The memory of the just is blessed."  Proverbs 10:7


Linked to http://thingsicantsay.com/ and http://www.deeprootsathome.com/

19 comments:

  1. Prayers for you today, and always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

      Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, as is your water child. Loving prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree about it being something that women don't talk about. When I had my first miscarriage I learned about all the women around me who also had miscarriages. But it wasn't something that they really wanted to talk about they just wanted me to know that they had been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Baby Gate

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work. The Division Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for providing this info.
    deadpool shearling jacket

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our the purpose is to share the reviews about the latest Jackets,Coats and Vests also shre the related Movies,Gaming, Casual,Faux Leather and Leather materials available New York Letterman Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi , Thank you so much for writing such an informational blog. If you are Searching for latest Jackets, Coats and Vests, for more info click on given link- Puscifer Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the best post I have ever seen. Very clear and simple. Mid-portion Is quite interesting though. Keep doing this. I will visit your site again. alexa crowe trench coat

    ReplyDelete
  14. t's actually a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information for us. Girlboss Jacket

    ReplyDelete