Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Full Revelations of...

I have a crush on Ike Matthews.  Unfortunately, I think he's deceased.  :(

I've escaped the house to muse on his qualities, sitting in the sun on the front porch.  I would be sipping my Sunday 99 cent iced coffee, but I left it inside and, frankly, it's not worth being rediscovered by children to get it right now.  They are checked out in front of Madagascar 6 or something currently, and it's working.  Their brains are mush and their mouths are quiet.  Ah, bliss...

Excellent.  Especially since we just came back from a purgatorial church experience engendered by toddlers waking at dawn and being fed leftover cake by doting older sisters.  Church today was all potty trips, toddler liturgical dances, yells of "Jesus house!  My shoe!  Book... BOOK!" And me hissing, "Shhh.  No, not now.  No, sit.  No, listen. No... okay that's a 1.  Okay, we're at 2. Cecilia...!!!"

But back to Ike.  Well, it's about time I did a sort-of "review"... but farrr be it from me to review some trite New York Times Best Seller, nonsense.  The following is what has me intrigued.

The Full Revelations of a Professional Rat-Catcher.  Written in 1898.

Why this choice of literature?  Well... A rat (gasp) was seen nearby.  Fortunately we have about a dozen neighborhood cats who adore hunting, so I'm not overly panicked yet.  Since this is a city-wide issue, there is a hotline to call if you see one of these overgrown hamsters with long tails (sounds better that way.)

So I called and commenced some hand-wringing while an inspector came out to look over my property, and they fortunately did not find any holes indicating that we, er, actually had pets.

Curious as to how we could further dissuade potential pest ownership above and beyond the obvious, I asked, "But what's a rat likely looking for this time of year?  Where did it likely come from?  When do they breed?"  Etc etc

He had no idea.

So I googled and found this.

I AM TOTALLY INSPIRED BY THIS GUY.

This man took pride in his profession of rat-catching.  He took it seriously.  And he found honor in it. He knew the usefulness in his work, and seemed to sense a nobility in it.  It even seems he had some sort of respect for his quarry, as he expressed fascination in his study of the animals, and how he was impressed by their abilities.

It makes me think of Josemaria Escriva, who often spoke of the value of work, using Joseph the carpenter of Nazareth as an example.   It makes me think of Therese of Lisieux, who encouraged people to "do small things with great love."

Okay so I'm a total nerd sometimes.  Still... I think Ike's cool.

How does his work apply to me, a stay-at-home mom hiding from kids on the porch while missing her coffee?  Well, I figure if a man can maintain pride and see honor in the career of 1800's rat-catcher, I can certainly be a proud, honorable changer of the poopy diapers of children and cleaner of dishes. And caretaker of their immortal souls.  Also if I do find a unsuitable critter about, I now know about six unique methods to dispose of them.

Which probably means I should get back to them (the kids, that is) now, and make them play outside. And reunite with my coffee too.

Thanks Ike. ;)
"Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good work, 
and in your teaching show integrity and dignity." Titus 2:7

3 comments:

  1. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC(www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete